Wednesday, July 22, 2009

There is Hope




Today was my last day in Cameroon and I must say that it was a very good one. I am waiting at the airport right now, and just had a funny encounter with the lady who searched my carryon bags. She was coveting a DVD TV series I had and said, “I wish you could give this to me…” I replied, “I’m sorry but it is the only thing getting me through my lonely nights, no chance!”

Since I was curious to see how University students lived, Maria took me to where the public University was, as well as where the students live. One of the MANY frustrating times when I wish I could have taken pictures. You can’t even imagine the student living. You would think a Public University in the capital would have something similar to dorms like we have in the US… this is not the case. The students live in little village-like places where they rent rooms. They have no facilities and it doesn’t exactly look like a place that is conducive to studying. So much needs to change in Cameroon.

The people of Sorawell rent a building near the University that supplements young women’s education. Education is not so developed in Cameroon as there is a lack of resources (books, educated teachers, etc), so Sorawell has tried to create a place that has libraries, study areas, and classes that supplement University education. Maria showed it to me and it is a very nice place to learn. I must say all of Sorawell’s facilities are so well thought out, clean, and create a great place for students to take their studies seriously.

Lunch time rolled around and Maria and I met up with Alice, Maria’s friend, and former participant in the supplemental University program I mentioned above who works for the Department of Foreign Affairs. We had such a great talk. Alice has such a clear vision of the problems in Cameroon, and what exactly needs to be done. She didn’t dance around the fact that there is much work to be done either, and recognized that most of these changes are facilitated by NGO’s in the country, as the government can often be ineffective (to put it politely). It was very refreshing to hear a native Cameroonian know the path that the country must take. The first step is recognition and I think that Cameroon will see progress!

After lunch Maria took me up on Mount Febé so I could get a complete view of the city. It was very beautiful. We then went to the artisan market which was so great to see. I love little artisan markets, and I got to pick up a birthday present for my roommate.

So reflecting on my trip I think I have had a lot of ups and downs. Seeing all of the poverty in the city was tough for me. It makes you feel so helpless. I am, however, not helpless because although it sounds terrible cheesy the girls we support at Sorawell really are the future of Cameroon. They will be the ones to change attitudes and the broken system. I only hope that Foundation SCA can continue to raise the funds they need to not only run the school, but expand!

A bientôt Cameroon…

No comments:

Post a Comment